|“||The S-mine is a German anti-personnel mine. When triggered the mine launches into the air and detonates. The explosion projects a lethal spray of steel balls and fragments in all directions.||”|
|― Heroes & Generals|
The S-mine, or Bouncing Betty, is a German anti-personnel bounding fragmentation mine. The bounding mine is a class of mine which, upon triggering via pressure fuse or tripwire, launches itself upward via a small explosive charge, then properly detonates a meter off the ground. This caused a more effective detonation radius for the mine. The German army was notoriously efficient in its deployment of these mines, with nearly two million produced for a full decade before the end of World War II. Tens of thousands of S-mines were defused and recovered from the beaches of D-Day after the invasion, and it is suspected that these mines contributed very heavily to the chaos, confusion, and casualties of the battle.
Undiscovered remnant landmines from World War II remain a cause of concern to this day, particularly in France and Germany, despite constant vigilance by the European Union to demine its territories. Due to the vast deployment of the German S-mine throughout Europe and Egypt, civilian casualties continue to occur every year via unrecovered World War II anti-personnel ordnance.
Due to its immense replenish cost, it is advisable to only use four S-mines at most in one match, or you may not recoup the credit loss for that round. S-mines work best when placed in chokepoints, and are most effective if placed in or around a control point. Be mindful that allies can trigger these mines as well, so ensure that your team is either aware of their placement, or that you only place them in areas of potential enemy foot traffic. For best effect, place your S-mines behind cover and around corners so enemies cannot spot them beforehand. They can be placed beside doorways, in hallways, or at the top of staircases.
- You can shoot a mine to destroy it regardless of your team even if it is a friendly mine. It is NOT advised to shoot friendly mines.
- Friendly mines have a skull symbol on top of it. Enemy mines do not. It is important that you look for these features to ensure the safety of yourself and your teammates.
- Let your teammates know when you are going to be using S-mines. This will reduce the chances of teammates accidentally stepping on them.
- When planting keep an eye on how many you place as you can only plant a maximum of 10 at a time, if you plant an 11th the first one you planted will despawn.
- S-mines are a great defensive tool, but remember your team also needs to be able to get on the objective to defend.
- If you keep getting killed by these mines, try looking at the ground before you enter an important area (e.g: Capture points and paths to Capture points)
- These mines are very expensive to place down and have a very high replenish cost. It is advised that you only use a few in less important matches.